Programme Code: SAQA-36065 – NQF level 8 – Credits 120
Effective leaders and education managers must find new ways to address regulatory, leadership and management challenges to embrace opportunities in the educational environment. Educational complexities have coalesced to push for knowledge and skills transformation to bring about change in technology, human resources, innovation, teacher qualities and accountability initiatives.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Management [PGDip (Educational Management)] is a one year specialised programme designed to meet the needs of educational managers in this climate of change. It incorporates the latest strategic thinking in educational leadership and management. The programme develops communication,interpersonal and financial skills in a way that enables educators to draw from both theory and practice of management.
Upon successful completion of the Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Management, the student should be able to:
- Apply management principles in an educational context.
- Provide leadership in an educational context.
- Evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of the functioning of educational institutions.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the inter-relatedness of factors that impinge on the phenomena of education.
- Demonstrate a sound knowledge base and critical understanding of education in general.
- Critically analyse and evaluate knowledge in educational management and to contribute to systematic and disciplined thinking about educational matters and issues.
- Conduct independent inquiry in a specialised field of education, training or development, and to report their findings in academically appropriate ways.
- Exhibit the potential to act as academic leaders and experts in the field of education, training and development; and
- Demonstrates professional managerial competence through formalising and encouraging critical reflection on both practical experiences and engagement with theory in order to manage contextual challenges such as HIV/AIDS, abuse, diversity and legal challenges, and to contribute to the development of appropriate education policies.
Duration: 1 year
|1||1||Contemporary Educational Management
Curriculum Design and Development
|2||Governance in Education
Financial Management in Education
|Elective: Choose 1:||Research in Education
History and Theoretical Frameworks in Education
Comparative and International Education
- The minimum entry requirement is an appropriate Bachelor's Degree or appropriate Advanced Diploma.