Programme Code: SAQA-86346 – NQF level 8 – Credits 120
The Bachelor of Public Administration Honours (BPAHons) is a one-year postgraduate programme aimed at students who have completed the relevant first degree and who intend to consolidate and expand their knowledge in the field of public administration. This programme is pivotal to the development of research capacity in the methodology and techniques of public administration. Students will obtain advanced skills relevant to the public sector. The programme also focuses on equipping students with a sound understanding of organisational strategy, structure, systems and organisational culture.
The programme demands a high level of theoretical engagement and intellectual independence and is suitably designed for articulation into higher qualifications.
Upon successful completion of the programme, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to identify, analyse and solve public sector problems in a systematic and creative way.
- Acquire an understanding of how to manage resources and processes in a public context.
- Communicate effectively, in oral and written modes, and to articulate and promote their own ideas and interests.
- Understand and contribute the socio-economic challenges of developing South Africa in an ethical and responsible manner.
- Appreciate that policy-making contributes to the development of government at the local, regional and national levels
Duration: 1 year
|1||1||Theory and Science of Public Administration
Planning and Policy Analysis in the Public Sector
Politics in the Public Sector
Management of Public and Municipal Finance
Elective One: Choose 1:
|Ethics in the Public Sector
Strategy in the Public Sector
Leadership in the Public Sector
Elective Two: Choose 1:
|Local Government Management
Research in the Public Sector
Labour Relations in the Public Sector
- The minimum entry requirement is an appropriate Bachelor's Degree or appropriate Advanced Diploma.