Programme Code: SAQA-99337 - NQF level 7 - Credits 144
The Postgraduate Certificate in Education in Further Education and Training Teaching is a 18-month programme aimed at developing graduates who wish to become school teachers. Teaching choices may be selected from a list of specialisations offered by MANCOSA.
This PGCE (Further Education and Training Teaching) qualification aims to develop innovative teachers who will meet the needs of a new generation of students. The key to taking South Africa forward lies in educating the nation for tomorrow!
Upon successful completion of the programme, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate foundational knowledge of theories and principles that inform teaching and learning;
- Demonstrate knowledge of the diverse context in which teaching and learning takes place within the South African school system;
- Develop and understanding of a learner-centred pedagogy to meet the diverse learner needs and contextual variations of the country;
- Demonstrate their ability to plan lessons for teaching incorporating the use of teaching and learning technologies to facilitate effective learning;
- Be familiar with the prevailing school and curriculum policies that inform teaching practices;
- Be able to demonstrate the skills in teaching of the specialisation subjects taking cognisance of the teaching context, educational infrastructure and school resources across the diverse schooling context that is prevalent within South African communities;
- Be able to communicate effectively in class through the medium of English;
- Be able to converse with learners in one of the indigenous African languages.
Duration: 1.5 year
|1||1||Education Studies: Curriculum, Teaching and Learning||Foundational Knowledge (Core)|
|1||Professional Studies and Professional Ethics||Situational|
|1||English Communication and Academic Literacy||Fundamental Learning (Core)|
|1||** isiZulu conversational||Fundamental Learning (Core)|
|2||Teaching Practice Theory 1||Knowledge (Core)|
|2||Education Studies: Sociology and Philosophy||Foundational Knowledge (Core)|
|2||FET Teaching Specialisation 1*||Electives|
|2||FET Teaching Specialisation 2*||Electives|
|2||3||Teaching Practice Theory 2||Workplace Integrated Learning (Core)|
|3||FET Teaching Specialisation 1**||Electives|
|3||FET Teaching Specialisation 2**||Electives|
* Work-Integrated Learning (WIL)/ Teaching Practice
This is a compulsory component which requires the student to undertake teaching practice at a secondary school, over four (4) consecutive weeks in Semester 2 and four (4) consecutive weeks in Semester 3.
*List of teaching specialisations
Students are required to choose two FET teaching specialisations from the list below:
- Business Studies
The minimum admission requirement is an approved bachelor’s degree or diploma. The degree or diploma should include sufficient disciplinary knowledge in an area of teaching (Further Education and Training Teaching) specialisation. Where a student does not have the requisite subject content knowledge, s/he would be required to undertake such modules at the required level before (or concurrently) admission into the Postgraduate Certificate in Education.